Tuesday, October 21, 2008

About John's Last 15

Hello!, allow me to introduce myself. I'm a married father of 3 boys, working as an IT Consultant in Mississauga, Canada.

About 3 years ago, I weighed in at a hefty 225 lbs, with a 40" waist and came to the realization that it had to stop, I'd packed on a good 50 lbs since college and if I kept it up, I could imagine ended up with diabetes, heart disease and an early funeral.

I decided I had to make some serious changes and I did so.

It took about 8 or 9 months, but by winter of 2006, I had lost most of the weight, was down to 180 lbs, fitting into size 34" pants.

I've maintained that weight for the past 2 years, but on many occasions I've tried to push through and get rid of the last 15 lbs to get me into the healthy BMI range. For various reasons I've failed to consistently stick to a plan and make it.

I realize that there's an unfinished job here.

I ran in my 2nd half-marathon this past weekend, finished in 2hrs, 15 minutes. This is 5 minutes improved over my 1st half-marathon, but still a pretty crummy time. Looking around at these events it's easy to see that the top competitors are not carrying around extra weight (unless it's small bottles of water or gatorade!). I'm planning to get under 2 hours (seperate goal), but know that really, I have to get the weight off, I have to take off this final 15 lbs, and this blog will be my diary in acheiving this goal.

I want this blog to be interactive, I want it to help other to lose weight, and I want it to be a motivation tool for myself as well.

I will be posting every day, providing updates on my progress along with my thoughts around challenges I might have, asking for support and suggestions and responding to comments.

My current weight - 182lbs, my goal weight - 167lbs, my target - my 36th birthday - December 13th, 2008.