Thursday, November 6, 2008

Being a Vegetarian

I was just reading an article about Vegetarian food being boring, and now that I've been veggie (more or less) for almost 18 months I know my perception of it has changed a lot.  A few  years back I would have never imagined myself not eating meat...  I think that meat is such an integral part of people's diets that they tend to just eat it automatically, and have a tough time imagining meals without it, but now I rarely ever miss it - primarily when I go to restaurants with limited vegetarian options, but let me dump out the type of stuff I eat, and can you honestly tell me you couldn't happily survive on this:

Breakfasts
Omelettes
Toast or Bagel w/ Cheddar Cheese, or Peanut Butter
Yoghurt
Bananas / Apples
Orange Juice
Cereal 
Smoothies w/ Protein Powder
Tim Horton's Breakfast Sandwich (Egg & Cheese) on a Multi-Grain Bagel

Lunches
Vegetarian Curries (Indian or Thai)
Chinese Stirfry w/ Bean Curd (aka Tofu)
Subway Veggie Delight - or Veggie Patty sub
Veggie Burger (Lick's, Burger King, Harvey's)
Bean Burrito
Salad or Veggie Wrap
Soup
Vegetarian Entres (Lot of variety) from Naturally Yours
Veggie Pizza Slice
Falafel
Veggie Roti
Egg Salad Sandwich
Sandwiches w/ Veggie Meat
Veggie Street Dog

Dinners
Pasta w/ Tomato Sauce
Garlic Bread w/ Cheese
Firm Tofu (Stir-Fried with Vegetables, in a Curry or even just cold)
Salads w/ Nuts & Seeds
Cheese & Potato Pierogies
Veggie Burgers (on the BBQ)
Veggie Dogs/Sausages (on the BBQ)
Macaroni & Cheese
Indian Veggie Curries w/ Rice (Palak Paneer, Channa Masala, etc)
Sides of Rice or Potatoes
Baked Beans on Toast (for any meal!)
Bean or Lentil Salad
Samosas

Snacks
Potato Chips
Cheese & Crackers
Hummus
Tortilla Chips w/ Salsa and or Guacamole
Fresh Vegetables (Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Carrots, Celery, etc)
Dark Chocolate
Popcorn

I'm sure I'm forgetting lots of things, but the list above probably comprises at least 60-70% of my diet, lots of choices in there, lots of variety - I rarely struggle to find something that I like...

No comments: